MrDeepFakes Forums

Some content may not be available to Guests. Consider registering an account to enjoy unrestricted access to guides, support and tools

• We are looking for community members who are intested in helping out. See our HELP WANTED post.

Post processing footage with After Effects

frosty3907

DF Admirer
Verified Video Creator
So here's my workflow - it helps remove noticeable stuttering from missed faces and also increases final FPS.
Posted as a small thanks to iperov dpfks and others for their hard work.

Drag your ORIGINAL footage (data_dst.mp4 if using DFL) into the project window of AE, and then drag it from there into the project timeline, this will setup a composition with the correct duration and FPS as well as provide the audio track.

Right-click the Project window and Import > Multiple Files - select the first PNG of of your Converted sequence from the Merged folder, make sure Sequence Option: PNG Sequence is checked. Click Import - a second window will appear, don't click Import again, click Done.

Since AE doesn't know the framerate of the image sequence you'll need to tell it:
Click either the composition in the Project window or the original footage clip and it will tell you the FPS in the info window immediately above, then right-click your PNG sequence > Interpret Footage > Main and change "Assume this frame rate:" to match your source framerate.

Now drag your image sequence onto the timeline just above your original footage.

Now scrub through the timeline (by moving the blue cursor or using PgUp or PgDn for frame-by-frame) until you find a section/frame where the face is missed or just any section you want to remove- this can be a large segment or a single frame - we're going to cut it out.

Once the playback head is on the last good frame before the frames you want to remove make sure neither the image sequence nor the source footage are selected in the timeline window and press Ctrl+Shift+D - this will cut the footage at that point (if you have either one selected it will only cut that track - if nothing is selected it cuts all tracks).
Now move the playback head to the last frame you want removed and press Ctrl+Shift+D again, you can now select the segment you've cut out on both the image sequence and original footage and press Delete.

After your done editing you'll end up with something like Attachment 1 (turns out attachments don't work - Your allocated attachment usage quota is N/A)... (it was a bunch of layers with gaps in-between them from the removed segments)

Now to remove the gaps:
Select the bottom clip in the timeline window and hold Shift, then select the top most clip from the source footage (which will be halfway up, since the image sequence clips are above them) - now from the top menu: Animation > Keyframe Assistant > Sequence Layers - Overlap shouldn't be checked, click OK and it will arrange the layers into sequential order.

Repeat the process for the image sequence above the source clip.

Now if you'd like to increase the FPS (smoother motion):

See Attachment 2:

GLQQkC9.png

(if anyone knows a better image host lemme know)

Click the first indicated icon shown to enable frame blending for the project.
With all the image sequence layers selected, select the second indicated icon (which will be blank initially) by clicking twice until you see the Pixel Motion icon indicated in the attachment.

Now to change the framerate and remove the dead space at the end of the project:
Move the playback head to the very last frame of usable footage, note the timecode in the project window (hours:minutes:seconds:frames) now go to Composition > Composition Settings and change the Duration to this timecode and the Frame Rate to double your initial framerate (so if it was 30fps before, set it to 60fps), click OK.

Now export the video; File > Export > Add to Adobe Media Encoder Queue
Video encoding options are beyond the scope of this guide but the basic mp4 settings should be fine.

You can also use this with PNG masks to Match Grain of the original footage to remove the 'too smooth' look of the faces and various other useful things like auto-levels with temporal smoothing to reduce flicker - I'll post guides on these things if interest is expressed.

HaDenG

DF Admirer
Verified Video Creator
Thanks for your efforts @"frosty3907" . I'm interested in other procedures you mentioned. I think those would be valuable guides.
I would recommend using bullet-points for each step with small video clips (including the one you already posted). So it would be easier to understand.

Great work @Frosty3907! Always good to see that most people on here are genuinely helpful and are happy to put in some effort to help others out, this place is a great resource because of that and posts like this!

frosty3907

DF Admirer
Verified Video Creator
HaDenG said:
Thanks for your efforts @"frosty3907" . I'm interested in other procedures you mentioned. I think those would be valuable guides.
I would recommend using bullet-points for each step with small video clips (including the one you already posted). So it would be easier to understand.

Would be good if the forum supported inserted local images into posts, otherwise can anyone advise an image host that works inline? imgur doesn't seem to.

HaDenG

DF Admirer
Verified Video Creator
frosty3907 said:
HaDenG said:

Would be good if the forum supported inserted local images into posts, otherwise can anyone advise an image host that works inline? imgur doesn't seem to.

I don't know really. Maybe @dpfks can help?

kenjathyme

DF Vagrant
frosty3907 said:
HaDenG said:

1) Upload image to Imgur
2) Right click on uploaded image, "Copy Image Address"
3) In forum click "Insert an image" Paste the image URL from Imgur and click "Insert"
GyKRysO.png

You've inserted an image from Imgur. This screenshot is proof of that. 

Or simply you can just type to embed external images.
Code:
[img]'INSERT IMAGE URL HERE'[/img]

dpfks

DF Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Verified Video Creator
Whoops I edited it for you without saying anything. Yes @"kenjathyme" has it right with his tutorial above. The thing about imgur is you need the direct URL to use the
i.imgur.com

avalentino93

DF Admirer
I'll post guides on these things if interest is expressed.
Umm yes please.   I use photoshop and premier to do my post processing.  But I see AE everywhere, so it seems more robust.  

This is the part Im particularly interested in (I put in a feature request to iperov, but it was deleted right away):

You can also use this with PNG masks to Match Grain of the original footage to remove the 'too smooth' look of the faces

Nice stuff.   Appreciate it.

frosty3907

DF Admirer
Verified Video Creator
avalentino93 said:
I'll post guides on these things if interest is expressed.
Umm yes please.   I use photoshop and premier to do my post processing.  But I see AE everywhere, so it seems more robust.  

This is the part Im particularly interested in (I put in a feature request to iperov, but it was deleted right away):

You can also use this with PNG masks to Match Grain of the original footage to remove the 'too smooth' look of the faces

Nice stuff.   Appreciate it
the default setting for Match Grain in AE will be too aggressive, set the strength to 0.5 or less.

chortlemortle

DF Vagrant
SpiderBill said:
any tips on how to blend the colors better?

I use brightness/contrast, hue/saturation, and selective color. Sometimes you need to add keyframes because touching up requirements are not consistent between shots. It seems like the most common thing I end up doing is using selective color on the blacks to darken them a little and then selective color on the yellows to get the magenta/green shift correct. I have a background in art so it makes eyeballing the color inconsistencies a little easier.

QUESTION:

My DST face is wider than my SRC. Is there a way to use After Effects to slim or narrow the DST face?

Thanks!