MrDeepFakes Forums

Some content may not be available to Guests. Consider registering an account to enjoy unrestricted access to guides, support and tools

• We are looking for community members who are intested in helping out. See our HELP WANTED post.

Up-scaling the frames and removing blur using Topaz A.I. Gigapixel

HaDenG

DF Admirer
Verified Video Creator
Hello all!

Recently, I have been experimenting with TopazLabs A.I image enhancement tools to get better fakes.

Mostly, I create 1280*720 fakes as I think it's the optimum setting considering time, hardware restrictions and quality.

This is a frame from my latest Daisy fake.

Original - 1280*720
jHeKhzxh.png

And this the output of Gigapixel
Upscaled - 2560*1440
PcVlNfQh.jpg

Both of them: 

The original frame is not only got upscaled but also looks clearer and detailed, especially eyes look better.

Check the videos to compare the quality.
2560*1440: http://bit.ly/2Zu6rSC
1280*720: http://bit.ly/2KZcTI0

The only downside, this process takes too much time.
Up-scaling 7732 frames took ~19 hours.

Mind that if your original frame doesn't look good to begin with -check bj scene- up-scaling will not help that.
There are also other tools provided by TopazLabs. Especially Adjust and Sharpen are useful to get more vibrant colors, removing noise, etc. But unlike Gigapixel, they don't support batch-process so It has to be done manually one-by-one.

Until more powerful GPUs are released, this is the way to create fakes in higher resolutions.

dpfks

DF Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Verified Video Creator
This is awesome, I think this will be really helpful for lower resolution videos where the face detection is not as reliable.

Can you share your workflow? I assume you upscale the entire data_dst frames, before face extraction right? What about your data_src facesets,do you also upscale those?

HaDenG

DF Admirer
Verified Video Creator
Yeah, it can be useful for lower resolution videos too but I didn't use it for that purpose.
Workflow is simple, convert as usual but before creating the video, upscale merged folder and use those frames to create the video.

TMBDF

Moderator | Deepfake Creator | Guide maintainer
Staff member
Verified Video Creator
So you just upscale the final video, I guess thats the best way to use it, upscaling some lower resolution faces in src dataset might be a good idea too.

I tried to use Waifu upscaler but it's is designed for drawn pictures so not much improvement there but this looks way better, might run all my videos through this, especially ones done with 720p videos.

Wonder how it would look if you were to upscale both src and dst before training from say 720 to 1080p and then upscale once more after merging from 1080 to 4k and downscale to 1080/1440p.

LCC

DF Pleb
Now... if only the super sampling in DFL could use the godly AI Model from Gigapixel instead of DCSCN...

ApolloS

DF Vagrant
Omg that's brilliant man!
I am a long time lurker/faker, I have just signed up only to make this comment. Will give this a try for sure, thanks again!
To moderation, please make this thread pinned so other fakers may see and use this technique in their fakes.

HaDenG

DF Admirer
Verified Video Creator
LCC said:
Now... if only the super sampling in DFL could use the godly AI Model from Gigapixel instead of DCSCN...

Yeah.. The only problem is it takes ~8 seconds to render a single frame on 1080 GTX
So for 1 min video in 30 frames per second: 30 * 60 * 8 = 14.400 sec = 4 hours. But if it can be ported to work on the cloud that would be something else.

LCC

DF Pleb
HaDenG said:
LCC said:

Yeah.. The only problem is it takes ~8 seconds to render a single frame on 1080 GTX
So for 1 min video in 30 frames per second: 30 * 60 * 8 = 14.400 sec = 4 hours. But if it can be ported to work on the cloud that would be something else.

Naaah, I'm pretty sure the super resolution in DFL is only upscaling the 128-256 resolution output. Which is like 16,000-60,000 pixels vs 2,000,000 of 1080p. Should go really quickly :)

dpfks

DF Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Verified Video Creator
Malando said:
HaDenG said:
Yeah, it can be useful for lower resolution videos too but I didn't use it for that purpose.
Workflow is simple, convert as usual but before creating the video, upscale merged folder and use those frames to create the video.

what is meaned with "upscale merged folder" ?

He basically makes a new folder with all the images he upscaled, and uses that to compile the video.

creepfake

DF Vagrant
Hey this is a good idea; it looks like there's a lot of upscaling code out there and I had a look around for something free that would work similarly. The most promising thing I found is using TensorLayer:

https://github.com/tensorlayer/tensorlayer

And this is the specific upscaling script example that's in the examples:

https://github.com/tensorlayer/tensorlayer/tree/master/examples/pretrained_cnn
https://tensorlayer.readthedocs.io/en/latest/_modules/tensorlayer/models/vgg.html

Haven't set it up but I'll try to see how well it works.

For some examples, here's the SRGAN project before it was integrated into the above links:
https://github.com/tensorlayer/srgan

dpfks

DF Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Verified Video Creator
Malando said:
dpfks said:
Malando said:
HaDenG said:

He basically makes a new folder with all the images he upscaled, and uses that to compile the video.

from the merged folder ? how could i upscale them ?

After you convert, you take the images in the merge folder, and put them through the program to upscale. You should not rename the files when up scaling, but just have the program save it to another folder. Then, once all up scaling is done you take those images and rename the folder "merged" and replace your old folder. Then run the bat file to convert to mp4 file

Groggy4

NotSure
Verified Video Creator
Malando said:
dpfks said:
Malando said:
dpfks said:
Malando said:

from the merged folder ? how could i upscale them ?

After you convert, you take the images in the merge folder, and put them through the program to upscale. You should not rename the files when up scaling, but just have the program save it to another folder. Then, once all up scaling is done you take those images and rename the folder "merged" and replace your old folder. Then run the bat file to convert to mp4 file

And what program can is use for upscaling ?

Here is the one OP is using. Sorry if sharing torrents break some rules on here.
https://www.1337x.to/torrent/3919652/Topaz-Gigapixel-AI-4-2-2-Crack-FileCR/

VFX

DF Vagrant
If the replaced face was slightly blurred and the dst image was sharp, would upscaling it help to sharpen the face? Or would it just make it larger, but with the same relative blur?

dpfks

DF Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Verified Video Creator
VFX said:
If the replaced face was slightly blurred and the dst image was sharp, would upscaling it help to sharpen the face? Or would it just make it larger, but with the same relative blur?

Yes it likely will help.

@"HaDenG" Gigapixel keeps crashing on me... it only upscales ~500 photos / 76000+... very frustrating and not functional for me.

HaDenG

DF Admirer
Verified Video Creator
VFX said:

In my case, it helps with blur and sharpens the replaced face.

dpfks said:
VFX said:

Yes it likely will help.

@"HaDenG" Gigapixel keeps crashing on me... it only upscales ~500 photos / 76000+... very frustrating and not functional for me.

Hmm, that's odd I've never experienced any crash with my GTX1080 although I only import 1500 pics max to Gigapixel in one batch. It takes a while anyways.
What's your GPU by the way?

I am working on new Emilia fake. I will post the result here for sure. It may take a while though as final video's duration will be 04:45.
I may post some frames.

frosty3907

DF Admirer
Verified Video Creator
Has anyone tried gigapixels' video upscaler? Apparently gets better temporally stable results..

dpfks

DF Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Verified Video Creator
HaDenG said:
VFX said:

In my case, it helps with blur and sharpens the replaced face.

dpfks said:
VFX said:

Yes it likely will help.

Hmm, that's odd I've never experienced any crash with my GTX1080 although I only import 1500 pics max to Gigapixel in one batch. It takes a while anyways.
What's your GPU by the way?

I am working on new Emilia fake. I will post the result here for sure. It may take a while though as final video's duration will be 04:45.
I may post some frames.

I am using a 1080ti. I will try scaling 2x instead of 3x. It just crashes with no errors like it was never opened.

frosty3907 said:
Has anyone tried gigapixels' video upscaler? Apparently gets better temporally stable results..

Where is this program? I am currently trying to upscale each frame